Sunday, June 20, 2010

Thank You Dad for All the Priceless Lessons

In honor of Father's Day I thought I would devote this week's blog completely to the important and unforgettable lessons that my father has taught me.


My Father

1. Hate for Yourself
My father was a man full of prejudices and ignorantly assumed notions of people and groups but he never forced his beliefs on me. I remember sitting under the old oak tree in the backyard when he said,"Tom, you need to start hating for yourself now. You can't live off your mother's and my hate anymore. But always remember what we've taught you about liberals, democrats, and gays."
"Alright Dean."
"Call me dad Tom."
"Alright Dad."

2.Never Surrender Never Sell Out
Many people have called my father a stubborn fool but I like to think of him as determined. To illustrate the point, my father still uses Windows 95. He believes that by upgrading he would be selling out to the man. He paid for Windows 95 and he won't get sucked into the technological black hole of our generation. He says it's all a sham. They had the know-how to make Windows 7 back in 95 but they just wanted to slow play it and squeeze you for all the money you got. Can't say I agree with that part specifically but I like the idea behind the madness.

3. Always Look at the Mother Before Taking a Girl Out on a Date
I'm pretty sure this one doesn't need any explanation.

Your Nostalgic Servant,
Uncle Tom

1 comment:

  1. This is even better than I expected-specifically this post. It's my favorite. #2 is especially charming.
    The real question: How on EARTH did you become a follower of my blog when it's private? I'll be waiting for an answer, because right now I'm just stumped.

    ReplyDelete